Canvas For Parents
Welcome to Canvas! We are glad you are here. This page has been created for parents /guardians and includes information about Canvas Learning Management System for grades K-12 and general instructions for using Canvas as a parent/observer.
What is a Learning Management System? A Learning Management System (LMS) is a way to streamline teaching and learning by connecting the digital tools teachers, students and parents use into one place.
What will the Canvas Parent app allow? The Canvas Parent app allows you to view due dates for assignments, read assignment instructions, and communicate with teachers. Check out the instructions below to gain access to your student's Canvas pages.
Why are teachers in grades K-12 using Canvas?
Teachers can use Canvas to:
- Receive and grade student assignments, discussions, and quizzes.
- Easily align assignments and rubrics to standards and/or learning objectives.
- Provide students with individualized feedback in the form of written, audio, or video formats directly related to growth or remediation the student needs.
- Organize all work and course-related events into one, drag-and-drop calendar.
- Push course notifications to students via email and text.
Why might a student benefit from working in Canvas?
Students can use Canvas to:
- Access class materials (calendar, assignments, quizzes, etc.) online using any device or any browser.
- Track their progress through ongoing teacher feedback tools.
- Receive course announcements, grade notifications, etc. instantaneously on their preferred device(s).
- Easily collaborate with peers and teachers.
- Receives individualized feedback on assignments.
What can parents do In Canvas?
Parents can see...
- what is going on in the course
- the calendar
- specific feedback that the teacher leaves for each assignment
Parents cannot submit work for the student(s).