Teaching & Learning
Raising the bar and expecting more is hard work, particularly for students and teachers. Academics are at the core of Gulf Shores City Schools, with a goal of having each student achieve his or her full academic potential by the time they graduate. New standards mean new ways of teaching and learning, and ultimately harder tests. To help our families achieve a greater understanding of what these new standards mean, Gulf Shores City Schools provides fact sheets, frequently asked questions, and links to information about Alabama's College and Career Ready Standards.
Gulf Shores Virtual Academy Program is designed to provide motivated, independent learners an opportunity to earn their Alabama High School Diploma through a flexible, personalized learning experience.
Virtual education offers students numerous benefits in terms of time, flexibility, and program customization. Along with these advantages, students also assume increased responsibility in time management, organization, self-direction, and self-regulation.
- Instruction from Alabama-certified teachers
- Accredited diploma upon satisfying all requirements for graduation, and the opportunity to participate in Gulf Shores High School graduation ceremony
- Flexible and personalized learning experiences
- Individualized academic and career preparation plan
- Self-pacing and opportunity for acceleration
- Opportunity for early graduation
- Flexibility with daily schedule
- Opportunity to blend virtual learning with face-to-face core and elective courses and tuition free dual enrollment classes
- Opportunity to take classes for advancement during the summer
- Opportunity to participate in sports, clubs, field trips, assemblies, and pep rallies
- Access to support services provided by school nurses, counselors, and the school lunch program
Gulf Shores City Schools are proud of their teachers and how they continue learning as they teach! Click here to view the Present and Future National Board Certified Teachers.
We Encourage Our Students To:
- Dream big
- Learn with intent
- Realize their own potential
- Enhance the lives of others
- Be inclusive, inventive and curious
We Do That Through:
- Continually transforming the way we teach and learn
- Exploring new ideas and approaches to learning
- Being rigorous with assessment and learning outcomes
- Being inventive in the way we teach
- Offering individualized learning paths
- Integrating technology in all that we do
- Fostering and celebrating diversity